A Guatemalan toddler apprehended at the U.S.-Mexico border reportedly has died right after several weeks in a Texas clinic ― the fourth demise of a migrant boy or girl since December.
The 2 1/2-year-previous boy died on Tuesday night time in El Paso, Texas, The Washington Submit documented, citing the Guatemalan Consulate and a supply with direct expertise.
The boy, whose id wasn’t uncovered by authorities, was apprehended with his mom on April 3 around the Paso Del Norte Bridge, a U.S. Customs and Border Safety formal informed HuffPost in an e-mail. That bridge spans the Rio Grande, connecting El Paso with the Mexican metropolis of Ciudad Juarez.
The day immediately after their capture, the boy’s mom described him as ill, authorities explained. He was transported to a hospital in Horizon City, and later to a children’s clinic in El Paso. His mother was unveiled from custody on April 8, CBP stated.
“At that level, the family was no lengthier in [Border Patrol] custody,” CBP claimed.
There ended up no quick responses to requests for comment from the El Paso health-related examiner’s office environment, Guatemalan Consulate and the healthcare facility.
The boy is at least the sixth migrant to die just after crossing the border since December. 4 of all those deaths were being young children, all from Guatemala, which is gripped by a hunger disaster.
- On Dec. 8, a 7-year-old girl from Guatemala died from what authorities explained was dehydration and shock while in U.S. Border Patrol custody.
- On Dec. 24, an 8-calendar year-aged Guatemalan boy died in U.S. custody. Initial success from an autopsy established that he died from the flu.
- On Feb. 3, a 45-yr-old Mexican person in Border Patrol custody died at a Texas medical center just after staff diagnosed him with cirrhosis of the liver and congestive coronary heart failure.
- On March 18, a 40-calendar year-aged Mexican guy died right after he was identified with flu-like symptoms, liver failure and renal failure.
- On April 30, 16-year-outdated Juan de León Gutiérrez from Guatemala died soon after he was claimed sick at a Texas youth detention facility. He was later discovered to have a rare issue identified as Pott’s puffy tumor, normally brought about by a extreme sinus an infection.
Serious Lifetime. Genuine Information. Serious VOICES.
Help us explain to more of the tales that issue from voices that much too generally continue being unheard.